All registered international students are automatically enrolled in an emergency health insurance plan.
However, you may meet eligibility requirements to opt out of the mandatory plan (see below).
Note: Post Doctoral Fellows have the option of opting in to the Student Guard plan from the ISA office. Student Guard costs $237 per semester (4 months). If you have a work permit valid for more than one year, you qualify for MCP health plan and you can buy any other Dental/drug plan, such as Blue Cross, or keep Student Guard, as a secondary converage.
Payment for Student Guard is by cash or cheque at the ISA office (Corte Real 1000).
For more information please email the ISA at email@example.com.
When you arrive to St. John's, you must visit the ISA Office for information about your insurance.
If you are eligible for provincial medical care coverage called MCP (medical care plan), you will be eligible for other supplementary Canadian health and dental insurance plans.
Please note that health insurance plans from outside of Canada will not be accepted as alternate coverage.
If you plan on becoming a Permanent Resident sometime during the semester, please notify the ISA office prior to the opt out deadline of that semester.
For important information on understanding Student Guard Health Insurance and the Canadian Health Care System, click here to view a presentation.
You are eligible to opt out from our insurance plan if one of these statements applies to you:
- I am a permanent resident or landed immigrant and have MCP (Newfoundland provincial medical coverage.
- I am studying outside of Canada in either my home country or the USA
- I am sponsored by one of the following groups who provide me with insurance: USC, CIDA, CBIE, or Canadian Commonwealth scholarship
- I am a refugee claimant and covered under the Federal Government
- I have a valid MCP card and proof of supplementary Canadian coverage
- I am a full time graduate student with MCP
Note: You will not automatically be exempt. Before September 16, 2009 you must complete a Waiver and provide the necessary proof.
Opt outs are valid for one academic year (from September- August).
You must complete a new opt out form every September that you are officially registered at Memorial.
For more information:
- Your Policy
- Insurance Costs and Dependent Coverage
- Renewing or Opting Out
- Claiming Visits and Prescriptions
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Medical Care Plan (MCP)